File photo, B.C. Conservation Officer Service. (Image Credit: B.C. Conservation Officer Service.)
Bear attack

Conservation officers kill bear after it attacked a man in Port Coquitlam

Aug 18, 2026 | 6:57 AM

PORT COQUITLAM – Conservation officers in B.C. have put down a bear believed to be responsible for biting a man outside a home in Port Coquitlam this past weekend.

According to a statement from the B.C. Conservation Officer Service (COS), conservation officers responded to a black bear attack in Port Coquitlam on Sunday afternoon, August 16. At about 3 p.m., RCMP members notified them that a bear bit a man outside his apartment complex.

The bear was no longer on site by the time COS personnel arrived on scene.

Later that evening, a black bear returned to the area of the attack. Conservation officers tranquilized and transported the bear to a BCCOS compound for further assessment.

Based on the BCCOS investigation, officers determined the captured bear was the bear responsible for the attack.

As a result, the bear was dispatched due to public safety concerns.

It’s the second incident involving a bear attack in the Lower Mainland in the last two weeks.

A black bear that was killed by RCMP officers on Sunday, August 9 was, “in fact,” responsible for an attack that had left a three-year-old girl with injuries in Maple Ridge.

Conservation officers took to social media to correct their earlier assessment, in which they said the wrong bear had been killed, and apologized for the confusion.

The three-year-old girl was attacked by a black bear on the back deck of her home in Maple Ridge on Aug. 9.

A parent intervened and drove the bear off, and the child was airlifted to B.C. Children’s Hospital with non-life-altering injuries.

Mounties from Maple Ridge say a bear was observed multiple times in the same area within about 40 minutes following the attack, and officers believed it was the same bear and made the decision to shoot it to prevent further injury or loss of life.

Sgt. Jeremy Pauls with Conservation Officer Service says that based on the evidence available to their investigators at the time, officers initially concluded the bear shot by Mounties was not the one responsible for the attack.

But Pauls says after reassessing the evidence, additional investigation and DNA analysis, they can now confirm the bear killed was in fact the one responsible for the attack.

Pauls says no other bears were shot in connection with the incident.

“We recognize the impact of our earlier assessment and apologize for the confusion it caused. We’re grateful to the RCMP officers who responded quickly to protect public safety,” Pauls said.