Michael Wayne Carpenter. (Image Credit: Vancouver PD.)
Man charged

Man charged for trespassing, break and enter in separate incidents in Langley: RCMP

Aug 19, 2026 | 5:12 PM

LANGLEY – Police in Langley say a man has been charged after he allegedly trespassed in a backyard last week, before breaking into a home just days later and getting arrested by police, in two separate incidents.

Langley RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Zynal Sharoom says police responded to a report from a Willoughby area resident shortly before midnight on Wednesday, Aug. 12, about an unknown man in their backyard. Officers attended, located a suspect, later identified as Michael Wayne Carpenter, and arrested him. He was later charged with trespassing at night. He was held in custody pending his court appearance and then subsequently released for an unknown reason.

Less than week later on Monday, August 17, Langley RCMP responded to a report of a residential break and enter at an apartment complex in the 19700 block of 64 Avenue. The complainant reported finding an unknown man inside their residence. The man then left the apartment and fled the area.

Police identified a man matching the description of the suspect who fled on foot when officers sought to detain him. The Lower Mainland Integrated Police Dog Service assisted in locating the man, who was taken into custody without incident.

Michael Wayne Carpenter, the same individual in the trespassing crime, has been charged with break and enter and obstruction of a peace officer. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing on both matters. 

“Residents should never have to fear for their safety inside their own homes,” said Superintendent Harm Dosange, Officer in Charge of the Langley RCMP. “These incidents are particularly alarming. Through the rapid response of our officers and the invaluable support of the Integrated Police Dog Services team, a suspect was quickly located and taken into custody.”

GlobalBC reported in February 2017 that a man by the name of Michael Wayne Carpenter, bearing the same image as the one accompanying this story, was a high-risk sex offender living in Vancouver. He breached the conditions of his parole in early 2017. GlobalBC reported that Carpenter had been serving a 10-year long-term supervision order and had convictions for three counts of sexual assault with a weapon, forcible confinement, and uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm.

Langley RCMP encourages anyone who may have witnessed suspicious activity in the areas of these incidents, or who may have information relevant to these investigations, to contact the Langley RCMP at 604-532-3200.