Premier David Eby responds to the latest round of U.S. tariffs on Saturday, August 22, 2026. (Image Credit: Government of BC / YouTube)
Tariff Response

‘No deal is better than a bad deal’: Eby commits to supporting B.C. businesses amid U.S. trade disruptions

Aug 22, 2026 | 1:08 PM

VANCOUVER — Premier David Eby is standing firm on B.C.’s stance against the latest round of tariffs from U.S. President Donald Trump, which includes measures protecting trade-exposed businesses, such as those within the Fraser Valley.

“The reality that manifested that there couldn’t be an agreement, that we couldn’t agree that the terms of the Americans were put forward, was unfortunate. It’s bad news for everybody in North America, without question,” said Eby.

“But the message that I’ve been delivering on behalf of British Columbians and that I’ve heard from my colleagues across the country is that no deal is better than a bad deal.”

Speaking to reporters on Saturday, August 22, Eby mentioned that British Columbia is one of the most exposed provinces to the newest tariffs and, overall, one of the most exposed provinces nationwide to the American trade war.

“The disproportionate impact on British Columbia of the President’s actions, as well as the disproportionate impact on our province of federal counter-tariffs, particularly on steel and metal products, is a conversation that we’ve been engaged in with the Prime Minister regularly.”

Local Impacts

Abbotsford, which the Canadian Chamber of Commerce previously listed as B.C.’s most trade-exposed city, has been gearing up for the 50 per cent tariffs since they were first announced.

“For a community as trade-dependent as Abbotsford, uncertainty carries a real economic cost,” said Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce CEO Alex Mitchell in a July statement.

“We expected some turbulence as trade negotiations continue, but these potential tariffs do nothing to strengthen businesses on either side of the border. […] Businesses need certainty to invest, hire, and grow.”

Over 330 Abbotsford businesses currently export to the United States, generating roughly $1.5 billion in annual exports, according to the Abbotsford Chamber. Around 12.5 per cent of the community’s GDP consists of goods exports, and more than 90 per cent of local exporters identify the U.S. as their main export market.

The Chamber said it is working with national and provincial Chambers, as well as all levels of government, to advocate for business protections.

Eby cited the Canada-B.C. Prosperity Agreement, which supports critical infrastructure development to improve trade, and encouraging other provinces to join the existing Western Canadian Free Trade Agreement as ways to combat local reliance on U.S. markets.

He added that Prime Minister Mark Carney is eyeing ways to deliver federal support for smaller businesses with less red tape.

“All of those pieces work together, and we will have to work closely with the federal government on ensuring that Abbotsford businesses, the businesses in every corner of British Columbia that engage in export that are affected by this, are supported through this challenging time,” said Eby.

In the meantime, the Abbotsford Chamber asks members exporting to the U.S. to review their products against relevant tariff schedules, review existing contracts for tariff provisions, and document increased costs, delayed orders or lost business opportunities.

“Businesses should avoid making significant supply chain decisions based solely on headlines. The tariff schedules are highly technical, and the impact will depend on product classifications, contractual arrangements, and individual business circumstances,” wrote the Chamber.

Three Abbotsford businesses received federal support for tariff protections last week, including $1 million toward an organic food company to help automate production and packaging.