Overdose deaths drop by 21 per cent, but 1,826 deaths in 2025 still a ‘profound loss’
VICTORIA — More than 1,800 people died in British Columbia last year from illicit drug overdoses, and while the coroner’s service says it still represents a “profound loss of life,” it’s a 21 per cent decrease from the year before and almost 30 per cent down from the peak in 2023.
The service said in a statement that it’s also the first time since 2020 that annual overdose deaths in the province have been under 2,000.
The figures were released on Thursday shortly after Health Minister Josie Osborne announced expanded access to nasal naloxone, which temporarily reverses an overdose.
The coroner’s office says 77 per cent of the 1,826 people who died last year were male and about half of the deaths occurred indoors.
