Chilliwack City Council reaffirms support for bringing a WHL franchise to Chilliwack
CHILLIWACK – The City of Chilliwack has released a statement on behalf of Mayor Ken Popove and all six councillors reiterating their support for bringing a Western Hockey League franchise to Chilliwack, despite media reports to the contrary.
In a statement released Wednesday afternoon, the city says it has received media inquiries about the management and operation of the Chilliwack Coliseum. As a result of those inquiries, they say they remain committed to bringing WHL hockey to Chilliwack.
Last week, Mayor Popove told 89.5 JR morning host Glen Slingerland that supporters behind the WHL franchise had ghosted the City of Chilliwack concerning a possible WHL franchise in Chilliwack. A spokesperson for a consortium representing an investor group pushed back on that statement by Mayor Popove, saying they were told in February 2026 that council had directed staff to cease negotiations with the MRG Group.
For context, the City of Chilliwack entered into a public-private partnership (P3) agreement in 2002 with the Chiefs Development Group (CDG) for the financing, design, building and operation of what is now known as the Chilliwack Coliseum, formerly known as the Prospera Centre. The agreement allowed the city to give residents a state-of-the-art arena at what it claims was a lower cost.
